Currently what’s listed below about library services is accurate. Unfortunately we are not in the Main Campus library at this time and at this point we’re unsure when we will reopen. We’re continuing to operate online as we did while the campus was closed.
HOWEVER, the Iowa City Kirkwood library IS open. So if you need us in person, head to or call Iowa City. Otherwise contact us online via chat, e-mail, or call and leave a message.
STORM RECOVERY UPDATE
Progress on Power Restoration
The majority of Kirkwood locations and buildings are open and operational as of today. There are a few exceptions on main campus which are:
- Art & Theatre Annex & Kiln Building – The transmission lines and poles that service this location were badly damaged and are scheduled for repair by Alliant.
- The Iowa Equestrian Center – A section of the north riding arena roofing and overhead door was removed during the storm. This resulted in significant damage to the acoustical ceiling and suspected moisture to the main power switch gear. Teams are working to patch the roof, remove the acoustical ceiling to prevent falling debris, and dry out the switch gear to restore power.
- The Kirkwood Center for Lifelong Learning – Power has been restored to the building but roofing damage during the storm resulted in water damage within the facility. A temporary roof has been installed and efforts are being made to repair the areas affected by water.
- Main campus library – When power was restored, the transformer that services the main campus library failed and will need to be replaced or refurbished. Currently, the best timeline is four weeks for a new or refurbished transformer but temporary solutions are being considered to power the facility.
- Michael J. Gould Recreation Center – The Rec Center will be reopening tomorrow. See details below.
Rec Center Reopening Wednesday
- The Rec Center will reopen tomorrow, Aug. 19, with an enhanced safety protocol. Hours will be limited to 6 – 9 a.m., 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., and 4 – 7 p.m. Monday – Thursday and Friday afternoons from 3 – 6 p.m. The center will be closed for two-hour blocks each day for deep cleaning of the building.
- Masks and social distancing will be required at all times while in the building. Everyone will be required to do a temperature check and building occupancy will be limited to 50 people at a time. Drinking fountains, showers, and lockers will remain off/closed at this time and check-out equipment (basketballs, weight belts, etc.) will not be available. Spray bottles and towels for cleaning will be provided when you enter and each individual is expected to clean their machine prior to and after use.
- For more information, go to the Rec Center website or email Brett Baumgart.
Johnson Hall Locker Rooms Open to Students and Employees
- The Johnson Hall locker rooms have been made available for students and employees that need a hot shower. Anyone needing to use a shower can do so between 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. through Aug. 21.
Registration and Student Services Available by Phone or In Person
- Department offices are open for students needing assistance. Questions about enrollment, academic advising, and financial aid may be directed to Enrollment Services at two locations. Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (202 Kirkwood Hall and 114 Benton Hall). Students may also call 319-398-5411 for general information.
Semester Start Delay Reminder
- The start of the fall semester has been delayed. Fall classes will now begin Aug. 31.
For the latest Kirkwood storm recovery news, go to www.kirkwood.edu/stormrecovery.