We hope you learned last year that a lot of library services are available online. With the Cedar Rapids Kirkwood library under construction until December 2021 we thought it would be a good time to revisit just what we offer online. We ARE still open you just have to follow the fenced path from the parking lot into the temporary door for the library. Follow the signs.
Here is what you can find/use online:
- Website – All of the following links are available on our library homepage. If you are having trouble finding this page you can also go to the Kirkwood Community College homepage, click library at the bottom, and then the box that says “Library Resources“
- On the homepage (link above) use the Search box to find books; both physical books you can come in and get and ebooks that you can access from home. (This is the library catalog.)
- You can search ONLY for ebooks.
- Find articles – This is an A to Z list of different databases (99 different collections of full text peer reviewed or scholarly journals, magazines and newspapers). Read the descriptions to see what we have available.
We may have a specialized database that fits your project, but the two general databases we recommend as a starting place for a general search or for scholarly/peer reviewed sources are:
Academic Search Elite
Academic One File
Ask our librarians (ways to contact us below) if you are having trouble finding what you want or if you want advice on the best ways to use any of the databases.
- News Articles (newspapers)
- Take a tour of the physical space of the Cedar Rapids branch of the library.
- Citation help for APA & MLA.
- Find lists of specific sources. (Instructors can request we create one for a particular assignment or a broader category.)
- Need longer help? Make a reference appointment. We can have a meeting online or in person, please note which way you want it.
- We’re also still offering orientations about the library in general or on your specific topic or assignment. We can do them either in person or online.
Instant messaging (chat):
Wherever you see “Ask a Librarian” on the library website, you can chat with a Kirkwood librarian.
- Phone (Note that if the library is closed or super busy you’ll be asked to leave a voice mail and we’ll call you back):
Cedar Rapids (or any location): 319-398-5697
Iowa City: 319-887-3613
Chat with a librarian by sending a text message to: 319-774-6491
Email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Find library related FAQs