, , , , ,

Every year the West Des Moines Public Library does an awesome job putting together a resource on where to find all the information you need about tax forms for both federal and Iowa taxes. The only things that are really different here at Kirkwood is we do NOT carry ANY paper tax forms and do NOT keep masters at either Kirkwood library branch.

If you have a tax form you need from Kirkwood Community College, it will be available on MyHub under MyBill, but before it will show up you’ll have to fill out the consent form saying you agree to them making it available electronically. If you don’t electronically give consent via the tax form will be mailed to you as a paper copy.


General Tax Forms, Iowa and Federal

NOTE:  Neither the IRS nor the State of Iowa has all of their forms out until as late as February – make sure you check that you’re using the correct year’s form!

For 2019 filing (2018 taxes):  Due to the Federal Shutdown and the tax code changes enacted last year, we expect the 2018 tax filing (in 2019) to be significantly delayed, including the creation of less-used forms and instructions.  Please plan accordingly. If what you need isn’t shown, check back soon.

Find links for Iowa and Federal forms, addresses, etc. here:


  • The Iowa Department of Revenue has done away with the Iowa Short Form. Both individual tax payers and corporations now have to use what was previously referred to as the long form.
  • Direct deposit of tax refunds is no long available if you file Iowa state paper tax returns. They ARE available if you file electronically.

Also, check the definitions of these basic tax terms:



Kirkwood Accounting student volunteers will again be assisting students, staff, faculty and the community with tax preparation. The 2020 Kirkwood VITA site will be open to give Assistance will be given for 2019 federal and Iowa tax returns to qualified taxpayers from Monday, Feb. 3 through Wednesday, April 15 on the Cedar Rapids main campus in 127 Nielsen Hall. This is a free service sponsored by the IRS and Kirkwood. Appointments are required. Email VITA@kirkwood.edu or leave a voice message at ext. 4521.

The hours are:

  • Mondays from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
  • Wednesdays 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
  • Fridays from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm

The VITA office will be closed for spring break March 16 – 20.

Kirkwood VITA does NOT complete complicated returns that include self-employment income, extensive tax credits, stock sales, non-resident returns or other tax issues that require major documentation or tax research.

Income Tax Forms for F1 Visa Students

All non-resident F1 visa holders are required to file both 1040NR and the 8843 forms. Even if you did not earn any wages, these forms still must be completed. Click on https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nr.pdf
and https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8843.pdf  to download and print the forms.

If you have any questions, please stop by 1154 Linn Hall, for assistance.

Sarah Uthoff is a reference library at Kirkwood Community College. LIKE the Kirkwood Community College Library on Facebook and find links to Sarah all over the web at her About Me Profile.