Today, March 3, marks 100 years since suffragettes marched on Washington, D.C., advocating for an equal voice in voting.
In honor of these women who faced harassment, intimidation, jail, and social pressure, your librarians are recognizing Women’s History Month. We have a book display up at our Cedar Rapids locations, free women’s history month bookmarks while they last, and are sharing some of the great resources offered through the Library of Congress and the National Archives with Kirkwood faculty.
See the Pinterest pinboard from the National Archives: http://pinterest.com/usnatarchives/a-national-policy-of-nagging/#.
See the Library of Congress site: www.womenshistorymonth.gov.
And finally, did you know there are elections happening soon? We don’t care how you vote, only that you do exercise this important right of citizenship.
- Linn County has a special election on March 5: see https://sites.google.com/site/linnelectionnow/
- Johnson County has a special election on March 5: see http://www.johnson-county.com/auditor/voter/1303special.htm
- Jones County has a school special election on April 2: http://www.jonescountyiowa.org/Pages/ElectionInformation.aspx
Finally, I don’t believe there are elections in the following counties that Kirkwood serves – but here are the pages for more information:
- Cedar County elections: http://www.cedarcounty.org/electionmain.htm
- Benton County elections: http://www.cobentoniaus.com/ (click on “elections” on the left side)
- Iowa County elections: http://www.co.iowa.ia.us/electionmain.htm
- Washington County: http://co.washington.ia.us/